Since its debut, the hoverboard, also known as the self-balancing scooter, has given an innovative spin on the way kids enjoy a Saturday afternoon. The hoverboard eliminates the excess metal and oversized equipment, leaving a hands-free, motorized experience for both adults and children alike. Therefore, a hoverboard for kids has been on wish-lists everywhere for holidays and special occasions. There are many companies that make ahoverboard for kids and with their ever-growing hype, it is vital to know exactly what you are looking for.
How do you know which is the best fit for your child and the right choice or your wallet? Fortunately, we have compiled a list of the top five hoverboards and what they have to offer, covering their pros, cons and safety features in order for you to assess what high-quality brand is the perfect fit for your child and which brand makes the most sense for your bank account.
Hoverboard For Kids Comparison Table
Hoverboard For Kids FAQ
What Is a Hoverboard?
A hoverboard is a hands-free, motorized scooter that operates using foot-pressure pads, allowing the rider to move forward, backward, and in a circular motion by simply shifting their weight. Hoverboards are an appealing way to travel short distances for people of all ages.
Are Hoverboards Safe?
When they first hit the scene hoverboards were plagued with fire problems due to either an overheated battery or the company neglecting certain safety guidelines and regulations. Since then, however, many companies have become UL 2272 certified. Simply put they have been put through a series of tests by an organization that, globally, specializes in safety testing and troubleshooting. Each hoverboard in our top five is UL 2272 certified, so no worries.
How Long Does the Battery Last?
Typically, a hoverboard can last from two to three hours depending on speed, mileage, and time spent on the hoverboard. There are some brands, however, that only last and an hour or so. Luckily, the majority of the brands have alerts or alarms that notify the rider when the battery is low so you always know when it's time to recharge. It might be best to just be prepared and carry the charger with you.
How Fast Are Hoverboards?
Due to there being various types of hoverboards, the top speeds can range from 7.4 mph up to 12 mph. A hoverboard for kids is generally capable of between 6 and 8 mph. Slower speeds are recommended for younger riders especially if it is their first hoverboard.
At What Age Can My Child Ride a Hoverboard?
The age that a child could begin to ride a hoverboard varies depending on the child's aptitude and balance. There are kids as young as five and six years old that ride with great precision and balance. There are even children that ride adult-specific hoverboards. Nevertheless, be sure to purchase a hoverboard for kids and follow the age recommendations stated on the packaging, especially if it is their first time using a hoverboard.
How We Reviewed
There are hundreds of brands of hoverboards and we have spent days compiling and cross-referencing information between the different brands in order to find the optimal hoverboard for kids. We made sure to highlight their most significant features, compare their pros and cons, research price points and more.
Overall Price Range Of Hoverboards For Kids
A hoverboard for kids will fall in the price range of between $200 and $600. the higher priced models offer exciting extras like LED lights, Bluetooth, real tires instead of plastic and even some accessories. The lower priced models are mainly the bare essentials, perfect for those that don't find the fancy lights and other extras necessary for a good time.
What We Reviewed
- INTERNATIONAL HIGHEST SAFETY STANDARDS: UL2272 Certified of hoverboard and MSDS/UN38.3 and UL2271 safety of battery. We provide international highest safety standards reports.
- HIGH-TEMPERATURE RESISTANCE AND FIRE RETARDANCE: The material and manufacturing process of the shell is similar to those of iPhone shell, which is with the features of high-temperature resistance and fire retardance, as well as high strength and toughness.
- THE MAXIMUM CRUISING RANGE IS UP TO 15KM: The power comes from a large-capacity lithium-ion battery pack. Equipped with a lithium-powered battery pack that specially designed for high performance, the technology is more advanced and can reach up to 1200W instantaneous power. At the same time, the advanced intelligent battery management system can monitor the health status of each battery in real time and inform the battery status by beeping to ensure safe driving.
- UNIQUE MUSIC-RHYTHMED HOVERBOARD: LED lights synchronously change color and twinkle as the Music's Rhythm changes. Cruising speed of 12 km/h with long distance for riders up to 220lbs. 17.6lbs easy to carry with to everywhere!
- 12 MONTHS WARRANTY, 100% SATISFYING GUARANTEED: one year warranty for wheel hub motor, controller and battery, half a year warranty for charger from the date of purchase.Any issue just don't hesitate to contact us.
TOMOLOO is a popular brand in the hoverboard world. The TOMOLOO Hoverboard has made a name for itself due to a large selection varying in styles, features, and prices. With a weight of about 17.6 pounds, this hoverboard is light compared to many other boards that reach up to 30 pounds; this board is much easier to carry.
TOMOLOO has a maximum speed of 10mph, will go as far as 12 miles on a full battery and can carry up to 264 pounds making this a great fit for kids and teens. Who wouldn't like to ride around outside with no worry about the terrain? TOMOLOO offers not only multi-terrain tires but also waterproof caps.
Another standout feature is its Bluetooth capability. Via an app, you can control the LED lights, play music and turn the hoverboard on and off. This hoverboard is both attractive and functional. Its futuristic and bright design paired with the Bluetooth creates a sense of individuality when it comes to a rider customizing the lights and picking their own music.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $$.
No warranty mentioned, though the company invites those having issues to contact them immediately.
Ninebot S Smart Self Balancing Transporter by Segway
- Safety Priority : UL 2272 certification ensures Ninebot S meets high standards for fire and electrical safety. The Smart Battery Management System provides reliable battery performance. IP54 waterproof protection ensures operation in various weathers.
- Sturdy & Powerful : Ninebot S is compact, weighting just 28 lbs with a max load of 220 lbs. Thanks to the dual 400W motors, it can easily reach a max speed of 10 mph. A single fully charged battery can run up to 13. 7 miles, climbing a max slope of 15°
- Road Adaptive Design : 10. 5" pneumatic tires provide a comfortable and smoother ride on bumpy roads. Knee control bar allows for precise steering and easy lifting. Applicable Age 16 - 50 years. Applicable Height - 3. 11 - 6. 6 Inch.
- Intelligent App Management : Download the Segway app for anti-theft function, speed limit and adjustment, vehicle self-diagnose, firmware upgrade, Ambient Light, vehicle remote control and more.
- Quality Assurance: The Ninebot S is sturdy and durable. One-year or 180-day for different parts, please refer to information in product details below, contact us at technicalsupport@segway if you have any problems.
This hoverboard is considered unique and is a highly sought after hoverboard for kids.
A unique feature is an adjustable bar in the middle of the hoverboard that sits between the knees to help with stability and control. Although the knee control bar is said to help with stability, many find it hard to maneuver with it. The Ninebot S Smart has a maximum speed of 10mph but is considered one of the heavier hoverboards on the market making it difficult to travel with. However, it's worth getting it outside because the air filled tires allow for a shock-free, all-terrain ride.
Being Bluetooth capable is a must nowadays and the app for the Ninebot S Smart gives the rider control over the lights, an anti-theft alarm system and the ability to steer and control the hoverboard's speed. The app also provides tutorials and trials to help the rider become familiar with the hoverboard.
Its sleek design and powerful battery make this hoverboard worth the investment. Being more on the expensive end, you can be sure that this hoverboard will stand the test of time with its magnesium alloy frame and replaceable parts. The parts can cost up to $300 for a battery and $40 for a wheel. Still a bit on the expensive side but worth it if you know it's something your child will use for years to come.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $$$.
This comes with a one-year warranty.
Felimoda Self Balancing Hoverboards
- UL CERTIFIED The UL certified hoverboard meets UL2272 standards for quality charging and electrical performance. Charger included.
- The Self balancing technology of the hoverboard makes it easier and safer for beginners and amateurs. It is easy to learn and maintain balance let you master the art of balancing in minutes.
- Built-in wireless speaker can be easily connected to portable devices in second, just enjoy your favorite music or books without wearing headphones. Make your hoverboard the coolest one with extraordinary sound effect.
- Graffiti made with Anti-fire Plastic Material,the wheels flash randomly make you the eye-catcher in crowds and the travel more fun, they are also can be signals at night to protect your safety.
- Buy with Confidence, We Provides Professional Services, Our Goal is your satisfaction.
Unlike its flashy counterparts, Felimodahas a more sleek, contemporary look while maintaining high-performance standards. It comes in about seven colors/designs. No fancy, flashing LED lights, but instead four fashionably placed blue lights that do just enough to catch the attention of passersby.
400-watt dual motors make the hoverboard reach 7mph, a perfect speed to ride in style on concrete, gravel or pavement. The weight limit is around 200 pounds making it a great hoverboard for kids and teens varying in size.
Felimoda has been UL 2272 certified. There is a self-balancing mode that keeps the board level with the ground whether a rider is standing on it or not making it a great option for beginners that want a simple, yet quality machine to start out with.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $.
This comes with a 90-day warranty and 30-day return period.
Razor Hovertrax 2.0 Hoverboard
Where this hoverboard falls short in style, it makes up for in ingenuity and safety. There are two operating modes that a rider can choose: training mode, or standard. The training mode automatically helps the rider by adjusting the speed based on their balance so that the new rider has a chance to get used to riding a hoverboard.
The 350-watt dual motors permit the Razor to reach eight mph giving both adults and children, whether learning to hover or not, a leisurely ride. Unfortunately, the battery life is only around one hour.
Along with being UL 2272 certified, there are non-slip footpads and a gyroscopic sensor that helps the rider maintain balance and ensure a smooth ride. It will not catch fire, overheat or shatter making it possibly the safest hoverboard for kids.
It has fender bumpers, and blue LED lights indicate the riding mode, battery life and light the path in front of the board.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $$
This comes with a 90-day warranty.
Swagtron T1 Hoverboard
Known for its easy maneuverability and safety, the Swagtron T1 Hoverboard swiftly turns corners and changes direction without the need to slow down or stutter. Another great hoverboard for kids, this one has two modes: a training mode and normal mode. In training mode, the rider can become familiar with the equipment and learn to balance. Then when they're ready they can switch to normal mode and ride as they will.
The Swagtron brand was the first hoverboard to become UL 2272 certified and many safety features have been implemented. One such safety mechanism is the Sentry Shield battery pack with multi-layer covering that surrounds the battery to prevent damage when it encounters a bump. The plastic is fire-retardant and won't catch flame thus protecting the contents within.
Weighing about 20 pounds and holding up to 220 pounds, the Swagtron T1 can ride for about 12 miles and 90 to 100 minutes. It's perfect for a ride around the neighborhood.
There are LED light indicators that inform you when the battery is low, but just in case you don't get to a charger in time, once the battery is dead the hoverboard will balance and come to a slow halt to prevent any jerking or hard stops that could harm a rider.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $$.
A one-year limited warranty is provided by Swagtron.
The competition is fierce among hoverboards and there are quite a few factors that go into choosing the best hoverboard for kids. Based on the research, we have determined that the best overall hoverboard is the TOMOLOO Hoverboard. It's the perfect combination of safety and flash. The brand is popular so there are other models, colors and price ranges for a parent to choose.
It's lightweight making it easy for a child to take to the park, or even to grandma's house without breaking a sweat. The Bluetooth makes for a fun experience for all ages and the adjustable 12mph speed makes for an exciting ride. The price range is also right in the middle so the perks are worth the price.
The best hoverboard for beginners, however, would be the Swagtron T1. All the safety features make it perfect for learning the ropes with minimal damage. There are non-slip foot pads, a training mode to help guide and teach the rider how to navigate a hoverboard and a one-year limited warranty.
Each of the top five is an excellent product and would make any child happy. Finding the right hoverboard for kids requires you to be aware of their fun, ease, and safety, which each of the top five hoverboards provides. All that's left is for you to choose the board and make a child smile.